Monday, February 6, 2012

Spenkuch Hussars - 35mm

Just finished painting this small set of Imperial German hussars which I've had sitting in the box for a couple of years. The figures are attributed bythe seller to Spenkuch - perhaps they're not, but certainly the bleisoldaten style is consistent with Spenkuch.  They're semirounds, pretty flat though. 




They're the starting point of another idea, moving the imagi-nations forward in time to 1900.  This will allow me to combine the two interests of painting figures and building ships, thus bringing pre-dreadnought era navies into play.  Now I am painting a set of Austro-Hungarian infantry, 38mm Wollner castings. 


4 comments:

  1. Very handsome figures and they painted up nicely. Every time I look at my Zinnbrigade 1900 Germans I get the itch to do something 1900-ish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ross. Yes, the Zinnbrigade Prussians make very nice troops indeed. I'm looking forward to seeing what you make of them once you scratch the itch.

    Too bad I don't own any of the molds. I'm tempted to get some, but am waiting to see if I have the patience to finish painting all of the Austro-Hungarian castings first. I don't have much infantry yet but have two 11-figure units of Hussars and Uhlans in the painting queue.

    Regards,
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enoy your blog. Lovely stuff, so well painted. I am a huge fan of Wollner figures. Am I to understand that they are availible unpainted? If so, where? Pricey? I have a set of Pussians I bought in Vienna. Love 'em. The Great European War of 1900 has long been a fantasy of mine. I have many masters sculpted in 40mm for just such a lark.
    Cheers
    John

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the kind words, John !

    Regarding the soon to be revealed "Wollners", they were sold under another name as unpainted castings. I'm by no means a Wollner expert, but I'm fairly certain as to the lineage. Yes, a little on the pricey side, but not outrageously so. Please feel free to e-mail me off the blog at "cpl_trim AT yahoo DOT com" and I'll share the source info with you. I'd like to hear more about your masters as well !

    Regards,
    Steve

    ReplyDelete